Mango meat is a flavorful raw vegan meat substitute made with fresh mangos, marinated in bold spices; paprika, chili, cumin, salt and pepper, and dehydrated to a meaty texture.
I have been eating mango meat by itself as a snack, but I realized it could be used for so much more. All that needs to change is the seasoning to fit the dish or your tastebuds, and/or side additions to make it a complete meal.
I was thinking kabobs, and mango tikka masala, yum!! The kabobs, I’ve already made, and they were delicious! I’ll get back to you on the tikka masala; I need to do a few experiments first.
The trick is to use somewhat unripened mangos, so they are slightly firm to touch, and not as sweet. Then you mix them with your desired spices and dehydrate for about 2 hours at 115 degrees until they crisp on the outside.
If you over-dehydrate the mangos, you’ll have a mango jerky. If you’re going for mango jerky, I would slice the mango, rather the cube, and add a splash of tamari or soy sauce. I’ll probably make a separate post for the mango jerky, going into deeper flavors. Another dish to add to the experiment list.
If you use over-ripened mango, you’ll end up with spicy mango gummies, I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. The flavor and texture was a little too weird for my taste.
I can’t get enough of that bbq flavor, so naturally I used bbq spices. I imagine any kind of spice/herb combination that you like, will work just as good.
Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 unripe mango
- 1/2 tsp chili powder; or chipotle.
- 1/2 tsp paprika; or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin; seed or powder
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Peel mango.
- Cut mango into cubes.
- Mix together with spices.
- Spread out on a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate for 1-2 hours, or until the outside is crispy, at 115 degrees F.
- You can also dehydrate the mango pieces until they are completely dried and crunchy.
- Then you can store them up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature.
- It'll take about 1-2 days to completely dry, depending on your environment.
- Cut the mango in long strips to dehydrate faster.