Raw vegan apple cinnamon granola made from sprouted buckwheat, apples, oats, dates, hemp seed, cinnamon and vanilla.
If you want a super crunchy raw vegan granola, always look to soaked and dried buckwheat. In my opinion nothing is easier, tastier, or crunchier. 🙂
This granola can be gluten-free as long as you buy gluten-free oats. Or you could use more buckwheat and hemp seed in place of the oats. There is also always the option to add other ingredients like chia seeds, flax seed, walnuts, or whatever you prefer.
I make sprouted buckwheat granola every month for the entire month, Dominick and I can’t get enough of it! We’ll eat it as cereal for breakfast, granola trail mix for snacks ,or mix it in ice cream for dessert.
The first step is soaking the buckwheat for a few hours, up to 8 hours if you have to do it overnight or while you’re at work. Second step is to rinse and drain, and either use them right away or continue to rinse and drain twice a day until you see little tail sprouts.
It’s really simple to sprout once you get the hang of it, you just have to plan ahead a little. Over-all this recipe takes about 20 minutes to prep.
After the buckwheat is soaked and/or sprouted you can start prepping the other ingredients.
Date paste is just dates and a little bit of water blended together.
Then you cut up your apple into small pieces, mix everything together in a bowl and spread it out an inch thick on a dehydrator sheet or baking pan.
The granola can be dehydrated for 4 hours, first hour at 165 degrees to prevent fermentation, and then about 3 hours at 115F.
Or the granola can be baked in the oven at it’s lowest temperature, around 225F, until dry. I’m assuming it would take around 1-2 hours. I would also leave the door cracked open to allow for water evaporation and air flow.
Let me know how you like it!
- 1.5 cups buckwheat
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 apple; diced
- 1 cup dates + 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup hemp seed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Soak the buckwheat for 2 hours, rinse and drain.
- Either use them right away, or continue to rinse and drain morning and night, until they sprout little tails; aprox. 2 days
- De-pit the dates and blend them together with water until it forms a date paste.
- Slice and dice the apple.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on a dehydrator sheet about an inch thick.
- Dehydrate at 165F for 1 hour, flip onto the ventilated dehydrator tray, and continue to dehydrate at 115F until dry; aprox. 3 hours.
- Store granola in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to a month.
- You can use an oven at it's lowest temperature with the door cracked open. Times vary.