There is nothing like warm sprouted oat groats dressed in honey, apples, cranberries, raisins, maple syrup, cinnamon and extra special super foods like maca and mesquite. This oatmeal not only warms me from the inside out but keeps me full and satisfied until lunchtime. It’s the perfect healthy breakfast recipe for the holidays, especially when everyone is busy busy and needs a quick delicious meal that sustains them until the big afternoon feast. The difference between this oatmeal and all the other oatmeal recipes I have come across is that this recipe is dairy-free, sugar-free, butter-free and uses premium ingredients that are minimally processed, if processed at all. Not only that but the oats are soaked and sprouted for optimal benefits, and it’s really quick and easy to make!
Cranberry Maple Pecan Oatmeal and Apple Raisin Oatmeal are on the menu for today and boy are they delicious. At the moment I’m favoring the Cranberry Maple Pecan, maybe because I’m eating it right now as I type this, it’s decadent, if I didn’t know any better I would eat it everyday. But don’t get me wrong I love a good oatmeal with cinnamon, apples and raisins too! I couldn’t decided between the 2 so I decided to share them both.
I made this recipe as pure and easy as possible because I like to start my mornings off right, with sustainable energy that lasts throughout the day. By sprouting the oats they will require less cook time, normally they take 20-45 minutes to cook and I don’t know about you but even 15 minutes is a long time for breakfast preparations for me. So just by simply soaking them overnight, by morning we can simmer them for about 5-10 minutes and they will be perfectly soft and chewy. As for the other ingredients, I add them at the end, after letting the oats and hemp milk cool a little; that way they retain all their vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc. That’s it and when I have time and I’m feeling creative I make apple bowls 🙂
By the way this would be the ultimate breakfast in bed, no dishes necessary, except a spoon…Imagine all the other things you could put inside.
Being fairly new to oat groats I gotta say I really enjoy the rice-like qualities…I love the chewy brown rice texture and the nutty oat flavor is like no other, mix the two and you have oat groats, damn near perfect if you ask me <3 And up until recently I only really used rolled oats, I was missing out and if you’ve never had these delicious grains you’re missing out too!
- 1 cup oats (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup hemp milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 apple; chopped
- 1/8 cup rasins
- 1 tbsp honey; local, raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- handful of pecans; chopped
- about 6 fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp mesquite flour
- Soak oats overnight
- Drain and rinse oats
- Add oats and hemp milk to a small pot and simmer for 5 minutes
- Take the pot off the heat
- Mix in the rest of ingredients.
- Cut the apple's top off, scrape out the middle with a spoon using a knife when necessary.
- When I first bought the cranberries they were a bit crunchy, I put them in a glass container in the refrigerator and when I went to use them they were soft like grapes and perfect for this recipe. You could also dehydrate them slightly to achieve the same effect.
- You can also soak the raisins overnight if you want them to be soft and plump.