This is the easiest vegan caramel popcorn recipe you could ever make! The caramel sauce is made from melted coconut oil, brown rice syrup, vanilla bean, coconut sugar and sea salt.
An even healthier caramel is my Raw Vegan Caramel, which also works wonderfully for this recipe!
Healthy is obviously a relative term, sugar in excess is never healthy, and that’s just keeping it real. But the good news is, there’s no butter or corn syrup and you don’t have to cook down sugars and fats that make it even harder to digest.
Brown Rice Syrup is all glucose which is much better than if it were all fructose, here is a great article about brown rice syrup. Their take is that brown rice syrup is “less bad” than processed sugar, again it’s still sugar.
The great news is that the coconut oil has many great benefits and so does vanilla bean, so you win some you lose some!
This caramel recipe hardens below 74° F.
All the vegan caramel ingredients can be warmed in a glass bowl in the dehydrator while you make the popcorn. Or you can use a small saucepan on a stovetop on a low temperature. Lastly all you have to do is mix the ingredients together and drizzle it over your popcorn, too easy!
Vegan Caramel Popcorn
- 1/4 cup popcorn
- 1 tbsp coconut oil; extra virgin cold pressed
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil; melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Use a popcorn machine or, put 1 tbsp oil in a medium to large pot over medium-high stove top. Add in the popcorn, let it start to sizzle, and then move the pot back and fourth rapidly for a little bit so the kernels are evenly cooked, and wait for them to pop.
- Mix caramel ingredients together in a glass bowl or directly in saucepan over low heat.
- All we want to do is melt the coconut oil and brown rice syrup for about 1 minute
- Pour caramel on popcorn in a big bowl and mix well.
- You can freeze for 1 minute or so until the caramel hardens.
If you don't like the slight coconut taste, try using red palm oil.
Pingback: Easy Vegan Caramel Popcorn – Natural Sugar Desserts