A thick and crunchy chip made from corn, red bell pepper, buckwheat, peppercorn and lime. With only 5 ingredients these homemade corn chips are quick and easy to prep and pair perfectly with my 5-minute salsa fresca. These chips are also the perfect appetizer for my favorite vegan burritos with raw vegan taco meat!
All you have to do is sprout the buckwheat; it’s really easy I promise, cut the corn and bell peppers, throw the ingredients into the food processor and dehydrate or throw in the oven until fully dried and crunchy.
Buckwheat is one of my favorite ingredients to work with in the raw food world. When you sprout and dehydrate buckwheat it becomes crispy and crunchy, and the flavor is easily manipulated.
Sprouting buckwheat is extremely easy and takes about 2 days depending on how warm your kitchen is. In late summer, I have soaked buckwheat in the morning, rinsed and drained at night and the next day they already had little tails.
When you soak buckwheat you will notice a goo being released, this is normal and will dissipate as you continue to rinse and let sprout. If you let the tails grow too long, the buckwheat will start to taste grassy.
If you choose not to sprout the buckwheat, you could try using 1/4 cup ground flax seed and a 1/2 cup almond flour. I have found when experimenting, that too much flax seed, even when completely dried, results in a slimy texture when being chewed. However, many raw vegan crackers use a lot of flax seed, and people love it, it depends on your textural preference.
To maintain maximum nutrients and enzymes, I dehydrate my chips for about 12-16 hours at 115 degrees. If I’m around, I’ll dehydrate at 165 degrees for the first few hours to evaporate the water, to avoid that sour fermentation taste, then if the top looks dried, I’ll flip it onto a ventilated surface and dehydrate at 115 degrees until done.
An oven can also be used at it’s lowest setting with the oven door cracked open, times vary, check often.
Once they appear dry on the top; aprox. 2-3 hours later, flip the chips, and lightly cut into the desired shape. Dehydrate until they are completely dried and then break apart and store in the an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Hearty Raw Vegan Corn Chips
- 1/2 dozen corn
- 2 cups red bell pepper
- 1 cup buckwheat; soaked and/or sprouted
- 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Soak buckwheat in purified water for a couple of hours.
- Rinse and drain in a strainer. Put the strainer over the bowl and cover with a towel.
- Rinse and drain every 8 hours until little tails have begun to sprout.
- Cut the corn off the cob.
- Chop the bell pepper to fit in the food processor.
- Throw all of the ingredients into the food processor and process.
- Spread out to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick on a dehydrator sheet -or- parchment paper on a baking pan.
- Dehydrate at 165 degrees for the first couple of hours until most of the water has evaporated and the top looks dry. Then flip onto a ventilated surface and lightly cut into the desired shape.
- Continue to dehydrate until completely dry and crunchy.