It’s pumpkin time and I couldn’t be any happier experimenting with different pumpkin concoctions. I have been enjoying the delicious locally grown sugar pie pumpkins from the farmers as often as possible. Chico dog has been enjoying his share of pureed pumpkin too. I also made a bowl of roasted pumpkin seeds with coconut sugar and sea salt, it has been a great snack set out on the table in a glass bowl…soo addicting and yummy!
This is not your ordinary pumpkin pie, this is a Pumpkin Avocado Dream Cream Pie! Not only is it creamy and dreamy but it is completely raw, vegan and gluten free. I love raw desserts because they are super easy to make, no refined sugars are added, and the filling is always ready for a finger-licking good time. Also being raw or “no-bake” means we are preserving all the delicate omega-3 fatty acids “the good fats”.
This pie was inspired by my Chocolate-Avocado Cream Pie, a household favorite. I use avocados as my butter, cashews as my cream, and a flavor which in this case will be from pumpkin juice, and pumpkin spice. I decided to juice the pumpkins, because in the chocolate version I use water or nut milk as the liquid and a powder for the chocolate, in this pumpkin version I just substituted all liquid with pumpkin juice and dried, powered spices…perfect.
Speaking of perfect I made a young coconut vanilla “whipped cream” to dollop on top of the pie…worth it! I also put some pecans in a bowl sprinkled in some cinnamon and drizzled a little agave, dehydrated overnight and behold….delicious candied pecans!
tis’ the season for a healthy pumpkin dessert full of spices to warm your heart.
Raw Vegan Pumpkin Avocado Cream Pie
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup flax seed; ground
- 8 medjool dates; soaked until soft
- 1 tbsp agave; or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon or more
- pinch of salt
- 1 sugar pie pumpkin; juiced for 1½ cups pumpkin juice
- 1/2 cup leftover pumpkin pulp
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cashews; soaked for at least 1 hour
- 1 cup dates; soaked until soft
- 2 tbsp coconut oil; or coconut butter
- 2 tbsp agave; or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp lecithin powder
Pumpkin Pie Spices
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered ginger; or fresh young ginger because it doesn't have thick fibers
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1/8 tsp cardamon
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Run flax seed through a spice/coffee grinder if necessary.
- De-pit dates
- Add pecans walnuts and flax seed to food processor and process until somewhat fine.
- Add in dates and process again.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until well mixed.
- Mold the crust with a spoon. (9in pie dish or spring form pan)
- If it starts to stick to the spoon wipe the spoon with a damp paper towel. If it continues sticking grab a bowl of water and dunk the spoon in every time it starts to stick.
- Cut the pumpkin by first cutting off the top stem portion. Next cut the pumpkin in half, scrape out the seeds and quarter. Cut the quarters in half and cut off the skin. Cut the skinless pumpkin enough to fit in the juicer, and finally juice it.
- De-pit dates and avocado, dice the avocado.
- Process the cashews, avocados and dates preferably in a vitamix or food processor, add a little bit of pumpkin juice at a time until it forms a cream. Stop, scrape the sides and stir occasionally.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and process again
- Pour filling into the crust and lick it clean 😉
- Freeze for 1 hour or until firm, refrigerate for the remainder of its life.
Ingredients I Used
Tools I Recommend[AMAZONPRODUCTS asin=”B002LAREE2, B0038KPRG6, B0062U6GBY, B008M5U1WM, B003R28HWQ, B001L7OIVI”]