Get ready for the ultimate raw, vegan, gluten-free and nut-free corn bread! This raw bread is crispy on the outside like toast, soft on the inside like real bread; and only made with whole ingredients like pumpkin seeds, oats, red bell pepper, fresh corn and flax seed.
Cut the pieces thick for a hearty meal by itself, or make a sandwich with your favorite toppings. I have a feeling this bread would go perfect with a bowl of chili!
I tried this recipe with a couple different techniques, but one in particular stood out.
First you want to make an egg substitute by adding flax seed and water together and letting it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
Then we’ll make the pumpkin seed flour and oat flour, by blending them individually. Then take half the pumpkin seed and continue to blend until it the oil becomes extracted and it starts to harden and stick to itself. We’ll call this pumpkin seed butter.
Next we’ll cut the corn off the cob and de-seed the red bell pepper.
Toss the flax seed egg-replacement, pumpkin seed butter, corn and red bell pepper in the blender, and blend until it forms a cream.
Lastly you can either hand mix, or use a food processor to mix everything together util it forms a huge dough ball. I prefer the food processor because I feel like it aerates the dough particularly well.
I form a bread loaf with my hands and pop it in the dehydrator or oven at 165 degrees for an hour. Once it gets a nice thick crust on the outside, you can slice the bread however big; the larger, the longer it will take to dry. However, the thick slices are so hearty and delicious!
If you’re making sandwiches I recommend cutting the slices thin. You may want to let the loaf dry 2 hours before cutting thin slices.
To make sure the dough doesn’t stick to the knife, make sure you clean your knife with each cut.
- 2 cups pumpkin seed
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup corn; aprox. 2 ears
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix together flax seed and water, set aside and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the pumpkin seeds to make pumpkin seed flour; set aside 1 cup and continue to blend the other cup until it makes a pumpkin seed butter.
- Blend the oats to make oat flour.
- Cut the corn off the cob and de-seed the red bell pepper.
- Toss the corn, red bell pepper, pumpkin seed butter and flax seed into the blender and blend util smooth.
- Either hand mix all the ingredients together or throw it all into a food processor. It should form a large ball of dough, that you can shape into a loaf with your hands.
- Put the loaf of bread onto a ventilated dehydrator screen or a baking sheet. Dehydrate or bake at 165 degrees for 1-2 hours, then slice the bread into 12 pieces. You can cut them thinner if you plan on making sandwiches.
- Continue to dehydrate at 115 degrees, or bake at the lowest temperature with the door cracked open and preferably the convection fan turned on. It's done anywhere between lightly toasted and still a little soft on the inside, or heavily toasted and crunchy.
- Takes anywhere from 4-12 hours depending on how thick your slices are and how dry you prefer.
- If the dough is too wet add more oat flour, if the dough is too dry add a little water.