A raw vegan layered taco dip with creamy cashew cheese, salsa, and a bunch of veggies. It’s a snack loaded with flavor and texture; creamy, crunchy, crispy, spicy, and super fresh.
My mom used to make this dish all the time when I was a kid, except the ingredients were very different. She would whip together sour cream and cream cheese for the base, and add shredded cheese on top. Needless to say it was not vegan and it really wasn’t healthy either.
Now that I have replaced the cheese with my favorite nacho cashew cheese and added fresh veggies from the farmers, this dish has made it’s way back into my life; this time more delicious than ever!
Basically the cheese is just blended cashews, red bell peppers, and nutritional yeast. Super easy.
For the salsa you could make salsa fresca, or try a local salsa. One of the farmers here makes amazing salsas, mustards, marinara, and a bunch of other good stuff. I really like to support her and it makes my life a lot easier.
The veggies can be whatever your heart desires. I personally like red bell pepper, red onions or scallion, cherry tomatoes, corn, olives and cilantro.
You could add anything like cucumber, radish, jicama, etc.. I was also thinking of using my zucchini cheese from my raw vegan pizza recipe as a topping, but I realized it wasn’t necessary. I would probably make it for a dinner party though.
I love to eat this dip with chips, tacos and rice. Raw vegan burritos is a staple in this house, and this taco dip is the perfect companion. It is also good with stuffed peppers, I add the raw vegan taco meat from the vegan burritos to a bell pepper and then add the taco dip on top…too good!!
Raw Vegan Layered Taco Dip
Layer 1 - Nacho Cashew Cheese
- 1 cup cashews; soaked
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon; juiced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 scallion
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1/2 cup cucumbers
- 1/4 cup poblano
- Rinse cashews after they have been soaked for at least an hour, blend them by themselves in a blender or food processor. Scrape the blender walls periodically.
- Add in the bell pepper, garlic, onion and juice of 1/2 a lemon and blend again until well chopped.
- Scrape the walls down again and add in 3/4 cup of water and the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth adding more water if necessary.
- Add the cheese to a 9x13" glass dish, and spread evenly.
- Add the salsa on top.
- Dice the bell peppers, chop the scallions, quarter the cherry tomatoes, and cut the corn off the cob.
- You could add them separately in layers or mix them al together an pour on top.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
The only way I was able to get the cheese super smooth was with a vitamix.