There’s nothing better than roasted root veggies in the wintertime. More specifically sweet potato, carrot, rutabaga, and watermelon radish smothered in a creamy roasted sweet potato carrot sauce .
Roasted vegetables always make great winter lunches, simply because it’s warm, easy to make and filling. They also help fulfill our craving for sweets, and as you know, limiting sugar helps our immune system stay in tip top shape throughout the winter.
The first step is preheating the oven to 425 degrees, then cutting the veggies into small enough pieces, like the picture above. They only need to cook for about 20-30 minutes. Time varies depending on how big your pieces are, and how spaced apart the veggies are.
I also used the convection setting on my oven, which may have speeded things up a bit.
For a softer veggie, keep them close together, or add a little bit of water to the pan.
For a crispier outside and soft insides, keep them separated; not touching each other at all.
For even crispier veggies, cut them a little smaller and drizzle on a bit of high heat oil such as coconut or sunflower oil.
The next step, once your roasted veggies are done, put a 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes and carrots into the blender and add in your coconut milk, spices and herbs.
You can use a little bit of radish or rutabaga for a spicier radish taste.
Blend it all together and pour it on top of the veggies. I like to sprinkle a few hemp seeds and fresh herbs on top.
This dish is delicious served cold as well, it reminds me of potato salad, and can be stored in the fridge for about 2 days in an airtight container.
Hope you enjoy!
Roasted Winter Veggie Bowl with Sweet Potato Carrot Sauce
- 1 cup sweet potato
- 1 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup rutabaga
- 1/2 cup watermelon radish
Sweet Potato Carrot Sauce
- 1/2 cup reserved roasted sweet potato and carrot
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 tbsp onion or shallot
- 1/2 tsp spices; i.e. mustard seed fennel seed, peppercorn, coriander, cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the veggies into fairly small pieces.
- Dry roast for 20-30 minutes or until soft on the inside.
- Take 1/2 cup roasted veggies and add them to the blender.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and blend together until smooth.
- Pour sauce over veggies and serve.
More details and notes are written within the post.