A divine raw vegan double chocolate cream pie recipe made from avocados, cashews, walnuts, dates and cacao. If you have never had a no-bake chocolate cream pie, you are seriously in for a treat. Not only is this pie quick and easy to make but it’s also packed with nutritious ingredients.
The cream is fluffy and light, and the crust is like a chocolate brownie. In fact, if you have ever had raw vegan brownies then you’ll be happy to know that this crust is just like those decadent chewy brownies, and just as easy to make. The ingredients may be slightly different but the concept is the same. I could almost describe it as healthy fudge, relatively speaking of course.
Raw vegan pies are my favorite easy desserts to make for friends and family. Vegan or non vegan, they always come back begging for more, if they can fit it! That’s the beauty of raw food recipes, they are naturally dense because they are made from nuts, and so one little piece of pie can fill you up quickly. I actually prefer to eat this pie right after lunch, instead of for dessert, because it’s the perfect snack to curb my cookie addiction, and it keeps me satisfied until dinner.
I came up with this pie recipe about 3 years ago when I realized I was spending a lot of money on cashews. I would make cultured cashew cheese, kale chips with nacho cashew cheese, cashew alfredo sauce; you get the point. One day I decided to make this chocolate pie and I didn’t have enough cashews; gasp, I only had 1 cup left and I didn’t want to go back to the store. So I decided to get creative with the extra avocados I had. It made sense that it would work because I used to make raw avocado pudding often, I knew it had to be good, with a little tinkering of course.
If you have a really good food processor or a vitamix you can mix all of the ingredients together. But if your food processor has seen better days then I recommend processing the walnuts first and then adding in the dates and chocolate.
All you have to do is pat the crust down after it has been processed and move on to the filling.
Mhmm would you just look at that! Yes that’s pie filling!! It makes me happy to know that underneath all that chocolatey goodness is some alkalizing avocados and you wouldn’t even know if I didn’t tell you 😉
The only sugar used in this recipe is coconut nectar. If you are not familiar with coconut nectar, you are in for another treat because it’s amazing! It’s one of the thicker sweeteners and it tastes nothing like coconut, because it is the sap from the coconut tree. Although sugar is not considered healthy, coconut nectar is a healthier alternative to processed sugar cane.
So essentially this pie is a raw vegan brownie crust with a raw vegan chocolate pudding as a filling. Life doesn’t get much better than this!
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup dates
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups cashews; soaked
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Soak cashews for at least 30 minutes.
- Add walnuts to food processor and process until the big chunks are gone.
- Add in the rest of the brownie crust ingredients and process until it becomes one big ball of dough.
- Pat the crust down with your hands or a spoon into a 9in glass pie dish.
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- If you have a vitamix add all the ingredients together and blend until smooth.
- If you have a regular blender or food processor, blend the cashews separately, adding a little bit of milk at a time until you have a smooth cashew cream.
- Then add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add the filling to the crust, smooth it with a spoon, and wiggle the dish to release any air bubbles.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for the remainder of the pie's life.
- Coconut milk may be substituted for water or any other nut milk.
- Walnuts may be substituted for pecans.
Hope you all enjoy, let me know how your chocolate avocado cream pie comes out!!