Behold the ultimate chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich; made predominately from coconuts, cashews, almonds and dates. This is by far my favorite dessert of all time, I can’t stop thinking about how delicious they are, plus it’s a simple recipe.
I used my favorite raw vegan chocolate chip cookies for this recipe, along with dairy-free chocolate and vanilla ice cream made with a base of fresh coconut and cashews. You could also use the blueberry vanilla ice cream with the base of avocado, or you could switch it up and make your own flavor.
For this recipe we’ll stick to good ol’ chocolate chip cookies with chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
- First step is to make the ice cream, which takes about 5-10 minutes. To make sure the ice cream doesn’t freeze into a solid rock, mix the ice cream every 30 minutes – 1 hour, this will also make freeze time faster.
- Second step is make the cookie, which also takes about 5-10 minutes and 30 minutes to freeze.
- Once the ice cream has solidified, spread it evenly onto 4 cookies. Put the other cookie on top and flatten. You can use a spoon to smooth out the sides.
For more in-depth directions click on the pictures or links below.
Raw Vegan Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 mature coconut
- 2 cups cashews; soaked
- 1.5-2 cup coconut water; or milk
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract; or 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cacao
- Soak the cashews for at least 20 minutes.
- Use a screwdriver and hammer to puncture the 3 "bowling ball holes" on the top of the coconut.
- Drain the coconut water.
- Cover the coconut with a kitchen towel, hit it with the hammer a couple of times on a hard surface.
- Cut the inside coconut meat like a pie, pop the pieces out and rinse off the debris.
- Blend the cashews and coconut at the highest speed, add a little bit of coconut water or milk at a time.
- Once creamy add in the rest of the ingredients, except the cacao, and blend once again.
- Pour out half the mixture into a glass bowl.
- Add the cacao to the blender and blend once more.
- Pour the chocolate ice cream into a separate glass bowl, cover both of them and freeze.
- Every hour or so, stir the ice cream to make sure it doesn't freeze into a solid block.
- Ice cream should be ready within 6-8 hours.
You may want to add a bit more liquid, sweetener and salt to the chocolate, test to make sure.
Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs; or chocolate chips
- 5 juicy medjool dates; **see notes
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar; *optional not raw
- 1/2 vanilla bean; or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Add in all of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and process until it resembles cookie dough. Don't over process and make nut butter.
- Hand mix in the chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
- Shape the cookies by either pressing into balls with you hands, using a cookie press, or using cookie cutters.
- Freeze for 20 minutes and refrigerate.
**If you don't have fresh juicy dates, soak your dates for 10-20 minutes.
*Coconut sugar gives a sweeter, more crumbly cookie. In most cookies you can distinguish a little bit of sugar crystal texture and so to make these raw vegan cookies more realistic I add a bit of coconut sugar. It also gives a nice almost brown sugar taste.
The only tool you’ll need is a blender, or a food processor with serrated blades. I used a vitamix which is no doubt the best tool for the job. However a standard blender with sharp blades can do the job as well, just make sure to intermittently stop, scrape the sides and stir it up a bit. I used to have a black & decker food processor with serrated blades that also worked well, especially for the cookies.
The most important part is getting the coconut and cashews smooth and creamy, if you don’t have a vitamix, I strongly suggest blending the coconut and cashews separately.
Ice Cream – Blender
I recommend a high speed blender, especially the Vitamix, for the silkiest ice cream.
Cookies – Food Processor
I recommend a food processor with serrated blades to make the smoothest cookie dough. A Vitamix will also work but be careful of over mixing the cookie dough and making nut butter.