I now bring you a simple no-bake, sugar-free, and gluten-free strawberry rhubarb pie! The sweetness of the dates and strawberries, with the tartness of the rhubarb, is perfectly matched with the warm pecan cinnamon and vanilla bean crust. The rhubarb is slightly dehydrated for a soft yet crisp texture and mixed with vanilla, cinnamon date paste for an ooey-gooey filling, too good if you ask me!
Since this fresh fruit and nut pie is so filling, I love eating it before my workouts. It gives me just the right amount of fullness and energy without feeling drained afterwards. You would have to eat a lot of fruit consistently throughout the morning to feel full, by adding a nut/fruit based crust it becomes a more filling meal that can sustain you for longer periods of time. It’s really easy to make all you need is a food processor or high speed blender.
First thing you want to do is cut the ends off the rhubarb and slice about 1/4 inch thick, lay them out flat on a dehydrator sheet, and dehydrate for about 30 minutes to an hour at 150 degrees. Because of the water content, the rhubarb will not actually heat to 150 degrees, so all you raw foodies can rest assured it will still be raw.
When you dehydrate rhubarb it softens, and the flavor becomes less tart and slightly sweeter with a hint of sour. An oven will also work well just leave it on the lowest setting with the door cracked, they should be done in 10-20 minutes. The rhubarb doesn’t have to be extremely soft, just a little wilted on the outsides.
All you have to do is throw the crust ingredients into the food processor and process until it all sticks together. Then with your hands evenly pat out the crust into a pie dish and finish smoothing and shaping with a spoon.
I usually put the crust in the freezer to firm up while I make the date paste and slice the strawberries.
Date paste is dates and water blended together. For this recipe the dates are blended with cinnamon and vanilla and mixed together with the rhubarb to create an ooey-gooey sweet tart filling.
You put the rhubarb filling into the crust, and dump the sliced strawberries on top. It is that simple!
For toppings I used shaved coconut but you could use anything, like chia seeds, or chopped pecans; although the crust may be hearty enough.
Raw Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 1.5 cups pecans
- 3/4 cup flax seed; ground
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 vanilla bean; or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups rhubarb = aprox. 6 stalks
- 1 cup date paste = 1 cup medjool dates + 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cups strawberries; sliced in 3's
- 1/4 lemon juiced; to preserve strawberries
- Cut off about an inch off the tops and bottoms of rhubarb, and slice abut a 1/4 inch thick.
- Dehydrate at 150 degrees for 30minutes-1hour. -Or- Put in oven at lowest temp for 10-20 minutes.
- De-pit the dates and grind whole flax seed in a spice/coffee grinder.
- Throw all the crust ingredients into the food processor and process until it all sticks together.
- In a 9-in pie plate, pat the crust down evenly with your hands. Use a spoon to smooth it all out.
- Put the crust in the freezer while you slice the strawberries and make the date paste.
- Put all the filling ingredients, except the rhubarb, into a food processor or blender.
- Mix the filling in with the rhubarb and add it to the crust.
- Juice the lemon over the strawberries, mix it all together and throw it on top of the rhubarb filling.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week with a piece of plastic wrap over the pie plate.