30 minutes from start to finish, vegan buffalo cauliflower over farro with a medley of vegetables.
There are many ways to make vegan buffalo cauliflower, some with breading, some without, but the purpose of this recipe is quick and easy. So this is just straight up baked cauliflower slathered in my favorite buffalo sauce from my favorite farmer at twoacrefarm.com.
The vegetables are interchangeable, the tricky part is deciding how to cook each vegetable for different textures and flavors, you’ve got to have a plan for the vegetables or they won’t be ready at the same time.
The plan for this recipe is to roast the butternut squash and cauliflower with coconut oil and spices, boil the carrots in with the farro, and steam the green beans, brussel sprouts, and zucchini on top of the farro in a steam basket.
I think next time I’ll also mix the brussel sprouts in with the cauliflower to give them more flavor.
A lot of how this dish is prepared is based around my toddler, I didn’t want to season all the vegetables so she could eat them, I also like her to eat steamed veggies for maximum nutrient retention.
Here we go, Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Start Farro
Rinse the farro until the water runs clear, fill the rice cooker with water and start, I use the white rice setting.
A rice cooker will give you lots of stand-by time, I highly recommend having one handy, we’ll also be using the steaming basket they come with for some of the vegetables.
2. Cut, Season & Bake Vegetables
Cut the butternut squash into bite-sized pieces, and the cauliflower into 1 inch thick and 2 inch wide florets. Mix them with coconut oil, chili powder, and paprika in a bowl. Bake them for 15-20 minutes until they are soft. Add the buffalo sauce to the cauliflower at the last minute of cook time.
3. Cut & Steam Vegetables
Prep the green beans, cut the brussel sprouts in half, and cut the zucchini and carrots into 1/2 inch slices.
Drop the carrots in with the farro, the rest of the veggies go into the rice cooker’s steam basket to steam for 7 minutes, do this while the rice is rapidly boiling and letting off steam to make sure they cook right.
Last Step – Garnish
Cut up some scallions, add a drizzle of ranch and some extra buffalo sauce.
30 minute Vegan Buffalo Bowl
- 1 cup farro + 2 cups water
- 10 medium cauliflower florets; half cauliflower
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 brussel sprouts
- 20 green beans
- 2 medium carrots
Toppings for each dish
- 1 tbsp vegan ranch by follow your heart
- 1 tbsp buffalo sauce
- Pinch of scallions
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Rinse the farro until the water runs clear.
- Add water to farro and start rice cooker. Most likely you'll want to use the white rice setting.
- Cut cauliflower into 1 inch thick and 2 inch wide florets. Cut butternut squash into 1/2 inch slices, stack 3 of them together and cut lengthwise 3 times and again 3 times the other way.
- Coat cauliflower in coconut oil and spices, place them on baking sheet and use the same bowl for the butternut squash to soak up the rest of the coconut oil. Lay them out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Prep green beans, cut brussel sprouts in half, cut zucchini and carrots into 1/2 inch slices. Drop the carrots in with the farro and add the rest of the veggies to the steam basket the rice cooker came with. Once the rice cooker is letting off steam, put the steam basket in for 7 minutes.
- At the last minute put cauliflower back into mixing bowl and lather with buffalo sauce, put it back on the baking sheet and in the oven for 1 minute.
- Make your bowl, cut up some scallions and drizzle some ranch and a bit of extra buffalo sauce on top.
Hope you enjoy!